Porcelain veneers are cosmetic restorations made from dental-grade porcelain. They are wafer-thin restorations used to restore teeth that are cracked, chipped, broken, excessively spaced from each other, or severely discolored. They are custom-fabricated according to the shape of the teeth and bonded firmly using dental adhesives.
Are you the right candidate for veneers?
When you visit the Sunnyvale dentist for a consultation, the dentist will check the following factors before suggesting veneers:
- The severity of damage to the teeth
- Gum health and receding of the gum line
- The spacing between adjacent teeth
- The severity of staining the teeth have endured
- State of your overall oral health
What are the advantages of porcelain veneers?
- Veneers are highly durable restorations as they are made from dental-grade porcelain. This feature enables them to last for several years without any hassle.
- Veneers can be bonded to the teeth with the help of dental adhesives, which is quite a simple and non-invasive process.
- When the tooth is being prepared, a thin layer of enamel can be removed to make space for the veneer. This helps to save the natural tissues of the teeth.
- Veneers are highly customizable to match the color, texture, and luster of the natural teeth. This helps to keep them indistinguishable when you smile or talk.
How are veneers placed?
The dentist will conduct an initial diagnosis, during which scans and x-rays will be taken to get a better view of the teeth. Once the candidacy is confirmed, the tooth will be prepared by buffing it to remove a thin layer of enamel. This is done to make space for the veneer. A hand-held scanning tool will be used to scan the teeth and create a digital impression of the teeth, which will be used as a reference for fabricating the veneer in a dental laboratory.
The fabrication can take a few days. Hence, a temporary veneer will be placed on the tooth to protect the prepared surface. During the next appointment, the temporary veneer will be removed, and the tooth will be cleaned. Its surface will be roughened using a suitable etching solution to make sure the veneer adheres well to its surface. Dental adhesives will be used to bond the veneer to the tooth, after which it will be hardened using a curing light. It may be polished to match it with the exact appearance of the adjoining teeth.
For more information about porcelain veneers or to schedule a consultation with Drs. Lee, Tu & Chung, call our office in Sunnyvale at 408-830-0123.